External Wall Insulation Grants in Coventry: A 2024 Brief Guide

As energy costs soar, homeowners in Coventry seek sustainable solutions to reduce bills and enhance home comfort. External wall insulation (EWI) grants offer a lifeline, making energy-efficient upgrades accessible. In this article, we delve into the world of EWI grants, eligibility criteria, and how they contribute to a greener Coventry.

What is External Wall Insulation?

External Wall Insulation (EWI) is a method used to insulate the external walls of buildings to improve energy efficiency and reduce heat loss. It involves adding insulation material to the outside of a property, typically covered with protective render or cladding.

Benefits of External Wall Insulation:

External Wall Insulation helps to keep homes warmer in winter and cooler in summer, reducing the need for heating and cooling, which can lower energy bills. It also improves the overall comfort of living spaces by reducing drafts and cold spots. Additionally, External Wall Insulation can enhance the appearance of properties, increase their value, and contribute to environmental sustainability by reducing carbon emissions.

Types of External Wall Insulation materials:

There are several types of materials used in External Wall Insulation systems, including expanded polystyrene (EPS), mineral wool, phenolic foam, and polyurethane foam. These materials come in various forms, such as boards, panels, or renders, and each has its own unique properties and benefits. EPS is lightweight and easy to install, while mineral wool offers excellent fire resistance. Phenolic foam provides high levels of insulation, and polyurethane foam is known for its durability and moisture resistance.

Who can qualify for external wall insulation grants?

Through the ECO4 scheme, families with low income (making £31,000 or less per year) or those getting certain government benefits can get free grants. Homeowners and some renters might qualify for grants to install external wall insulation in 2024.

The qualifying benefits include:

Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
Income-related Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
Income Support (IS)
Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
Working Tax Credit (WTC)
Child Tax Credits (CTC)
Universal Credit (UC)
Housing Benefit (new eligible benefit under ECO4)
Pension Credit Savings Credit (new eligible benefit under ECO4)

If you part own your home with a Housing Association, as long as you own at least 50% you could still be eligible for a grant. If you are a Council or Housing Association tenant, you should speak to them directly or contact the Energy Saving Trust who might be able to help you.

The Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS) also earmarks funding for low energy efficiency households (EPC rating of D or below) and with the lowest Council Tax bands (A-D in England and A-E in Scotland and Wales).

Energy Savings and Cost Reduction

The impact of External Wall Insulation on energy bills:
External Wall Insulation helps to reduce energy bills by improving the insulation of a property’s external walls. By keeping more heat inside during winter and blocking out excess heat during summer, External Wall Insulation reduces the need for heating and cooling, leading to lower energy consumption and lower energy bills.

Estimated savings for different property types:
The amount of money saved on energy bills varies depending on factors such as the size of the property, the type of insulation used, and the current energy efficiency of the building. Generally, properties with EWI can save anywhere from 20% to 40% on their energy bills compared to uninsulated properties.

Measures covered by EWI grants:
EWI grants typically cover the cost of materials and installation for external wall insulation projects. This includes the insulation material, protective render or cladding, labor costs, and any necessary scaffolding or other equipment. Additionally, some grants may also cover the cost of a property survey to assess suitability for EWI and provide guidance on the best insulation options.

How to Apply

Initiating the grant application process:
To start the grant application process for external wall insulation (EWI), homeowners need to contact the relevant government department or energy efficiency scheme. They may need to fill out an application form and provide information about their property, income, and eligibility criteria. The application will then be reviewed, and if approved, the homeowner will receive confirmation and guidance on the next steps.

Suitability property survey:
Before External Wall Insulation can be installed, a suitability property survey is usually required. This survey assesses the condition of the property’s external walls, identifies any existing insulation, and determines the most suitable insulation materials and methods. The survey may be conducted by a qualified surveyor or energy assessor, who will provide recommendations based on the property’s specific needs.

Funding limitations:
While External Wall Insulation grants cover the cost of materials and installation, there may be limitations on the amount of funding available per property or per household. These limitations vary depending on the specific government scheme or funding source. Additionally, funding may be subject to budget constraints or availability, so homeowners should apply as early as possible to secure funding for their External Wall Insulation project.

Get a Call Back from us:

We can help you claim funding to save on your home bills

Ready to get started?

 0121 399 0023

Copyright © 2021 Edan Home Ltd. All rights reserved.

Terms & Conditions               Privacy Policy